I talk so much about beauty and skincare on my blog. But somehow I feel, all the lads (men) feel left out. So here I am sharing all the details when it comes to Men’s Skincare + Grooming Products.
What are the differences?
The hormone testosterone determines the masculine characteristics of male skin and gives it a different structure to female skin. While every man’s skin is unique, in general, male skin – on both the face and the body – is thicker, oilier and ages differently.
- Male skin is, on average, approximately 20% thicker than female skin. It contains more collagen and has a tighter, firmer appearance.
- The collagen content of male skin reduces at a constant rate. Female skin is affected later in life, especially after the menopause. Female skin then thins more dramatically and the effects are more pronounced than in male skin.
- Men have more active sebaceous glands, and therefore more pores, than women. Both their sebaceous glands and their pores are larger than those of women.
- Sebum production is double that of women, so male skin is oilier and shinier than female skin. As a result its pH is lower than that of female skin and is prone to impurities and acne.
- Adult males are less prone to dry skin than adult females.
- Signs of ageing appear later in male skin, but changes occur more quickly once they start.
- Men are most affected by sagging skin combined with puffy eyes and dark circles that make them look tired.
- Men get wrinkles too, though they are often less of a concern than for women. Male wrinkles occur later than female wrinkles but, when they do appear, they are fully grooved.
Regular shaving makes male skin more stressed than female skin
- On average, men who shave subject their skin to 16,000 shaves in a lifetime.
- Skin becomes more sensitive and reacts faster.
- Daily shaving stresses the skin and can cause irritation. It removes the uppermost layer of skin cells, exposing immature skin that is particularly sensitive to external influences.
- Up to 40% of men have shaving-related skin problems. Younger and fair skinned men are particularly prone.
- A blunt razor and/or insufficient lubrication while shaving can lead to nicks and cuts, razor burn and razor bumps.
How to care for male skin –
Because male skin is different to female skin, it benefits from a dedicated approach to skincare and from products that respect its unique biological attributes.
Careful shaving is important, particularly for those with sensitive skin or skin conditions such as acne and Atopic Dermatitis:
- Protect and lubricate skin with shaving products. These should help the razor to glide smoothly over the skin to avoid nicks and cuts. They should also be mild and soothing for sensitive skin: harsh products can remove skin’s natural lipids which are already under pressure as the the uppermost layer of skin cells are being removed. We also recommend shaving products that contain anti-bacterial properties to protect skin from shaving irritations.
- Use a clean, sharp razor for the closest shave and to avoid razor burn or razor bumps.
- Shave in the direction that hair grows, not against it.
Moisturisers and anti-ageing products for men should be light in texture. Rich and greasy products may not be well tolerated by skin sensitised by shaving.
Now that we’ve understood the nitty-gritty, lets move on to products that you’ll be astound to know that they work magic on your skin! Yes!
Bid farewell to all skin worries because I’m about to share with you products that are tried by bae and he absolutely swears by them. He’s been using these products for years and he strictly follows his skincare regimen. I was actually surprised to see that men are more disciplined too when it comes to taking care of themselves. All of these products have transformed his skin. But this transformation isn’t the pure result of these skincare products but also of regular workout, keeping active and eating home cooked food.
He makes sure to carry these products in travel size, no matter where he is travelling. Always in his kit.
So here we go (in this order) –
FOR SMOOTH AND CLEAN SHAVE
Gillette Shaving Gel Mach3 Extra Comfort
Gillette Mach3 Start Men’s Imported Blades (Pack of 2)
FACE WASH (ALTERNATES BETWEEN THESE TWO)
Epishine – Skin Ligtening & Brightening Face Wash with Kojic acid and Vitamin C
Kiehl’s Men’s Oil Eliminator Deep Cleansing Exfoliating Face Wash
SCARS AND MARKS CAUSED BY ACNE – TREATMENT
CATALYSIS Cicatrix Cream Reduces Scars, Marks Left by Acne or Burns
Kiehl’s Men’s Oil Eliminator 24 Hour Anti-Shine Moisturizer
Solar D Everyday Active Sun block SPF50
All these products are a result of years trial and error combined with dermatologist recommendations. They are suitable for all skin types. However, he has oily/combination skin. But it keeps on changing with the weather. But, guys, if you’ll want to bring about some change in your skin and feel great. You’ll must try these products and give me a feedback.
I know men are a bit wary of change. Especially when it’s concerning themselves. But coming from a guy, you’ll should feel a bit satisfied that they are coming from someone who was never into skincare or anything. Just slap on a moisturiser and we are good to go. Bae has surely come a long way and so will you.
Let me know your skin care journey and see where it leads from here.
*The results may differ from person to person. I’m not a skincare specialist or a dermatologist and neither am I claiming to be one. Try products at your own risk*
P.S. These are great products to gift to your better half/bae/brother/boyfriend or any other guy in your life who needs to pamper and take care of himself!
*Images used for representative purpose, contact for credits.*